Sunday, December 2, 2007

SIA's Singapore Girl

I am going on a holiday trip to Hong Kong soon and for the first time, I’ll be flying by Singapore Airlines (SIA). I’ve been very interested to know how the Singapore Girls are different from the air stewardesses from the other airlines. There has been so much hullabaloo about SIA’s iconic Singapore Girl which has been an important part of the airline’s culture since 1972.

So I wonder. What exactly makes a Singapore Girl? For the benefit of the foreigners visiting my site, the well-known Singapore Girl strategy was brainstormed by French haute-couture designer Pierre Balmain. The Singapore Girl dons a special version of the Malay sarong kebaya as her uniform, which turns out to be a powerful brand icon and SIA personalises her as a unique Asian figure who is gentle, caring, elegant and serene.

I have had some bad experiences on other airlines. British Airways is one. Can you imagine an air stewardess telling you to “wait for your turn” when you requested for a drink? I found that extremely rude. United Airlines is another. The stewardesses were so unprofessional that they seemed to be treating passengers like cattles when we were leaving the plane. Maybe for the prices I paid, I shouldn’t complain so much. Anyhow I will get a chance to see how our SIA’s Singapore Girl matches up with them.

I hope I do get to take a photo with her on my 4-hour flight with the near-celebrity of Asia. Right now, I can only dream of her.

No comments: